The National Holocaust Remembrance Day
The „Elie Wiesel” National Institute for the Study of the Holocaust in Romania announces the organization of the yearly commemoration ceremony that will take place on Friday, October 7, starting at 10:00 am, at the Holocaust Memorial in Bucharest.
At the wreath-laying ceremony, representatives of the Presidency, Romanian Parliament, Government, Diplomatic Corps, the Jewish and Roma communities, and groups of students and teachers from high schools in Bucharest and neighboring counties.
In October 2022, we mark 81 years since Jews` deportation from Bessarabia, Southern Bukovina, and Northern Bukovina to Transnistria. Only in October 1941, over 35.000 Jews, mostly children, old people, and women from Dorohoi, Suceava, Câmpulung Moldovenesc, Vatra Dornei, Rădăuți, Gura Humorului, and other neighborhoods localities were escorted to Transnistria. During 1941-1943, in the camps and ghettos from Transnistria died between 115.000 – 118.000 local Jews, 105.000 – 120.000 Jews from Romania.
The actions of the Antonescu government during the Second World War were also directed against sedentary and nomadic Roma. This year we commemorate 80 years since their deportation to Transnistria. Throughout 1942, over 25,000 Roma were deported to Balta, Golta, Berezovka, Oceacov counties by the Romanian authorities, as a result of the racial policy of the Antonescu regime. More than 11,000 of them lost their lives in those places.
Public Relations and cultural-educational programs Department
Phone: + 40-21-318 09 39
In the context of the annual Holocaust memorial ceremony (Friday, October 7, 2022) at the Holocaust Memorial, starting on October 6, 2022, at 8:00 p.m., the following parking lots will be reserved:
- the parking lot in front of the Mihai Vodă fire department and the Petrom gas station, the segment bounded by Anghel Saligny street and Independence Splaiul;
- the parking lot located on Anghel Saligny str., towards Lipscani str., between Splaiul Independentei and Lipscani str., next to the Holocaust monument;
- the triangular parking lot bounded by Anghel Saligny str., Splaiul Independentiei and Lipscani str.
- the parking lot in front of the Monument.
Also, on Friday, October 7, 2022, the traffic will be closed as follows:
- on Anghel Saligny str., on the section between Splaiul Independentei and Lipscani str.;
- on Lipscani str., the section between Ion Brezoianu str. and Anghel Saligny str.